Friday, October 9, 2009

Paranormal Activity

This is not a review by no means. It is my opinion. Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one. Here's mine...

I watched Paranormal Activity tonight and I have to say that I was a little disappointed. "THE SCARIEST MOVIE OF THE DECADE " MY ASS. I do admit that I jumped ONE time from one of the "noises". I did not watch a trailer for it and only skimmed over a couple of reviews. I basically went into this movie blind.

It upsets me that it is being compared to The Blair Witch Project, which I have to say I enjoyed more. The only thing that it and The Blair Witch Project had in common was that it was filmed by the characters portrayed in the movie. The male character in this movie was so annoying! All he cared about was "evidence" and not what was happening to his girlfriend. Let's just say he gets his "money shot" of evidence in the end.

The only thing that I can think of that made this movie so "scary" for the audience is their lack of knowledge or experience of the paranormal. I have been on several paranormal investigations and like to think I have SOME knowledge of the paranormal field. Nothing ever happened to me DURING an investigation that even compared to what happened in the movie. I am not saying that it couldn't happen, but I know NEVER to provoke an evil entity. Strange and unexplainable things have happened to me in the past, so maybe that is why I am a little more opinionated. Trust me, I will not have trouble sleeping after seeing this movie. I DID have trouble sleeping after I was "visited" by a shadow person hovering over me while I was sleeping and lifting me up off the pillow by pulling on my shirt. That was terrifying!

I am very grateful to have experienced it in the theater, but I seriously do not think it lived up to the hype. I do encourage everyone, that can, to go see it. Everybody sees things differently.

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting to read a review from the point of view of someone so familiar with the real-life paranormal. I can see how that may lessen the effect of the film. I found it to be better than Blair Witch, but I concede that part of that is due to the fact that I couldn't stand all the shaky-cam stuff in Blair Witch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with your last three sentences enough. I am a film reviewer (at least in my own mind) but I always leave the option to the reader to make up their own opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys for the comments! It means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is the first negative review I've read on this film (Not that I've read much). I agree with B-Sol, having real-life experience with the paranormal would water down the movie a bit. Nice to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have 2 agree w/ your opinion. i dont think this was a bad revw as grizzy said. Just a different impact if u have experience w/ paranormal.anybody w/ slight experience knows you SHOULD NEVER piss off an unknown entity! no it wasnt the scariest movie of all time but i did jump at few key moments. in my opinion it does live up 2 the hype. Especially 4 those who are unaware. maybe not so much 4 the rest of us. still a go see though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wtf? i had a nice loooong comment back on your blog but my hatin ass laptop erased. so my mini recap. good movie, more impact on non believers. never play with the unknown. still a must see

    ReplyDelete